Hospitals in Sri Lanka operating near full capacity

As the COVID-19 cases remain unchecked, hospitals in Sri Lanka are operating with its full capacity, reported Daily Mirror

Apr 28, 2021
Image
Hospitals in Sri Lanka (File)

As the COVID-19 cases remain unchecked, hospitals in Sri Lanka are operating with its full capacity, reported Daily Mirror. Officials have warned the public to follow all SOPs otherwise they may face a crisis in the coming days. 

Dr. Aseela Gunawardena, the director-general of health services in Sri Lanka, said on Tuesday, "As these hospitals receive patients from all over the country, they are expected to exceed their capacities by tonight."

He further added, “There will be no issue if we are able to balance the incoming patients and the patients who are being discharged.” So far, Sri Lanka has not conducted any genome sequencing after the recent surge of the virus. Health experts in the country fear the presence of some fast spreading variants. 

The report mentioned 95 percent of patients show just mild symptoms while the rest 5 percent are those showing some complications. 

Gunawardena however said, “The number of admissions to hospitals and ICUs also remained at a lower rate in the previous virus strain. However, the number of ICU admissions has considerably gone up consequent to the new variant.”

Youths, he claimed, are also developing serious symptoms; many of them are being even admitted ICUs this time. He warned of increasing restrictions if people continue to behave irresponsibly. 

Tweets about SAMonitor
SAM Facebook

Newsletter Subscription

The subscriber's email address.
Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.