Maldives Police signs agreement with Indian construction firm to develop police infrastructure

Maldives Police Service has signed a $48 million agreement with India’s ABL Indira Projects JV to develop multiple projects related to police infrastructure

Jul 18, 2021
Image
Maldives-India

Maldives Police Service has signed a $48 million agreement with India’s ABL Indira Projects JV to develop multiple projects related to police infrastructure. Mohamed Hameed, the Maldives’ police commissioner, and ABL Indira Projects JV’s Chairman Bhupesh Nagarajan signed the agreement on Saturday to develop 61 police facilities and buildings for the archipelago’s police.

The agreement includes a custodial facility and expansion of two existing buildings in K. Dhoonidhoo. It also includes 23 police stations in the atolls, 21 police posts, eight atoll police stations, a police station in Male’, and a police station and four accommodation buildings in Hulhumale’ Phase II, according to a report in Sun news.

The Indian firm will complete the projects in two years. The projects, police said,  will lead to the establishment of police stations across the Maldives, and facilitate the delivery of modern and democratic services in a decentralized manner.

The decentralization of key services has been a key priority for the current administration. 

India’s Exim Bank will give a loan to fund the 85 percent cost of the project and the remaining 15 percent will be financed by the Maldivian government, Maldives Police said in a press release.

(SAM) 

Tweets about SAMonitor
SAM Facebook

Newsletter Subscription

The subscriber's email address.
Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.