Sri Lankan president appoints a Presidential Task Force to build secure country, virtuous society
Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has appointed a 13- member Presidential Task Force headed by the Defense Secretary Major General (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne to build a secure country and a disciplined society
Colombo: Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has appointed a 13- member Presidential Task Force headed by the Defense Secretary Major General (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne to build a secure country and a disciplined society.
The President Tuesday (June 02, 2020) issued the Extraordinary Gazette notification announcing the Presidential Directive for the establishment of a Presidential Task Force to build a Secure Country, Disciplined, Virtuous and Lawful Society in accordance with the powers vested in him by Article 33 of the Constitution.
The President has appointed Secretary to the Ministry of Defense Major General (Retired) Kamal Gunaratne as the Chairman, and Senior Assistant Secretary, Ministry of Defense, Mr. D.M.S. Dissanayake as the Secretary of the Task Force which consists of 13 high ranking military and police officers.
In his directive, the President emphasizes that it is the most prominent responsibility of the government to give priority to National Security and create a virtuous, disciplined and lawful society which respects the rule of law and justice as it has stated in his election policy statement “Vistas of Prosperity and Splendor”.
The President further notes that it has been recognized that the security of the country is a key factor in establishing economic strategies aimed at the development of a country and emphasizes the equal protection of the law for the well-being of the people and for building a civilized society.
The Task Force has been appointed considering that “it is essential to liberate the entire society from the drug rampant spreading all over the society including the children who are considered as the future of a country is also a major factor in the social decline couple with the economic decline.”
The members of the Presidential Task Force to build a Secure Country, Disciplined, Virtuous and Lawful Society are entrusted to execute the below-mentioned tasks:
1. Taking necessary immediate steps to curb the illegal activities of social groups which are violating the law which is emerging as harmful to the free and peaceful existence of society at present in some places of the country
2. Take necessary measures for prevention from drug menace, prevent entry of drugs from abroad through ports and airports and to fully eradicate drug trafficking in the country and to prevent other social illnesses caused by drug abuse
3. Take necessary measures to take legal action against persons responsible for the illegal and antisocial activities conducting in Sri Lanka while locating in other countries
4. To investigate and prevent any illegal and antisocial activities in and around prisons
The President has authorized the Presidential Task Force for the Establishment of a Secure Country, Disciplined, Virtuous and Lawful Society to investigate and issue directions as may be necessary in connection with the functions entrusted to it and noted that he is authorized to submit reports to the Task Force members from time to time.
Further, the Presidential Task Force for the Establishment of a Secure Country, Disciplined, Virtuous and Lawful Society may issue instructions or request that all Government Officers and other persons requesting assistance in the provision of services comply with such instructions.
The President instructed all Government Officers and others to provide all possible assistance and provide all information that may be provided and directed the Task Force to report to him, all cases of delay or default on the part of any Public Officer or Officer of any Ministry, Government Department, State Corporation or other similar institution in the discharge of duties and responsibilities assigned to such public officer or such institution.
Following are the 13 members of the Presidential Task Force for the Establishment of a Secure Country, Disciplined, Virtuous and Lawful Society:
1. Major General (Retired) Kamal Gunaratne, Secretary to the Ministry of Defense (Chairman)
2. Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva, Commander of the Sri Lanka Army
3. Vice Admiral Piyal de Silva, Commander of Sri Lanka Navy
4. Air Marshal Sumangala Dias, Commander of Sri Lanka Air Force
5. Mr. C.D. Wickremarathne, Acting Inspector General of Police
6. Major General (Retired) Vijitha Ravipriya, Director General of Customs
7. Major General (Retired) Jagath Alwis, Chief of the National Intelligence Service
8. Major General Suresh Salley, Director of State Intelligence Service
9. Major General A. S. Hewavitharana, Director of Army Intelligence Unit
10. Captain S.J. Kumara, Director of Navy Intelligence Unit
11. Air Commodore M.D.J. Wasage, Director of Air Force Intelligence Unit
12. T. C. A. Dhanapala, Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Special Task Force of Police
13. Waruna Jayasundara, Deputy Inspector-General of Police
Post a Comment